Knife-wielding shoplifter approached staff twice in 24 hours 2023


The same shoplifter brandishing a knife confronted supermarket employees twice within 24 hours.

One of the courageous employees wrestled with Alexander Lennox, only to discover that he was concealing a second knife in his waistband.

Lennox, age 42, was sentenced to two years in prison when he appeared in Hamilton Sheriff Court from confinement.

While on bail, he confessed to theft, knife possession, and threatening or abusive behavior at Asda in Larkhall on September 2 and 3, 2017.

Prosecutor Scott O’Connor stated that security personnel first observed Lennox “acting suspiciously” in the supermarket around 8:40 p.m.

As he was leaving the store, the defendant yelled, “Get the f*** out of my way!” before drawing a knife from his pocket.

Alexander Lennox, who had a second blade in his waistband, fought a staffer.

“Lennox continued to stroll away from the two employees while continuing to yell.

“One of the employees grabbed him by the arm, and as he fled, Lennox lifted his shirt to reveal another knife in his waistband.”

Police officers arrived and viewed surveillance footage, but Lennox returned to Asda around the same time the following day.

Mr. O’Connor stated, “The same employees observed the defendant making his way to the alcohol aisle.”

“He proceeded to the exit without attempting to pay for the items in his shopping cart.

“A member of the staff attempted to stop him, but he yelled, ‘Get the f*** out of my way’.” He was brandishing a knife with an approximately seven-inch blade.

He then exited the store and fled through the parking lot.

Andy Iles, a defence agent, stated that Lennox began “abusing substances” at the age of 13 and subsequently became addicted to heroin and cocaine.

Mr. Iles stated, “He was released from prison shortly before committing these crimes to fund his drug habit.”

Sheriff Thomas Millar told Lennox during sentencing, “These incidents must have been terrifying for the store employees.”

Since Lennox has been detained since his detention in September, the two-year term was retroactively imposed.



    Leave a Reply